Pregnancy is a beautiful phase in a woman’s life, but it can also be a challenging time as mothers have to take extra care of their health, diet, and appearance.
One of the essential aspects of maternal health care is skincare.
During pregnancy, many women experience a wide range of skin changes due to hormonal imbalances, which can cause acne, hyperpigmentation, and other common skin problems.
Therefore, it is crucial to choose the right skincare products that are safe for both the mother and the baby.
Choosing safe skincare products during pregnancy
Many women often consider skincare products as safe, but that might not be the case during pregnancy.
It is because most skincare products contain chemical ingredients that can harm the health of both the mother and the baby.
Therefore, it is necessary to choose skincare products that are made with safe and natural ingredients that do not cause any harm to the fetus’s development.
Below are some of the skincare products that are safe during pregnancy:
1. Cleansers: Pregnant women should use gentle facial cleaners that are free from harsh chemicals and fragrances.
Cleansers with glycolic acid or salicylic acid are not safe during pregnancy as they can enter the bloodstream and cause complications.
2. Moisturizers: During pregnancy, women should use moisturizers and creams that are specially designed for sensitive skin.
Creams with Lactic acid, urea, or hyaluronic acid are safe and can combat dry skin.
3. Sunscreen: UV rays can cause skin damage and can also harm the unborn baby.
Therefore, it is essential to use a broad-spectrum sunscreen formula that contains zinc oxide and titanium dioxide.
4. Anti-aging products: Anti-aging products that contain retinoids and vitamin A are not safe during pregnancy as they can cause birth defects.
5. Face masks: Face masks with all-natural and organic ingredients are safe during pregnancy.
Products with cucumber, aloe vera, or green tea extract provide a soothing effect on the skin.
Ingredients to avoid during pregnancy
During pregnancy, the hormonal changes can make the skin more sensitive, which can be aggravated by certain ingredients present in skincare products.
Therefore, pregnant women should avoid the following ingredients when looking for skincare products:
1. Retinoids: Retinoids are commonly found in anti-aging products and can cause birth defects.
2. Hydroquinone: Hydroquinone is used in skin lightening products and can cause complications.
3. Salicylic acid: Salicylic acid is found in many acne products and can cause birth defects.
4. Phthalates: Phthalates are found in perfumes and can cause hormonal imbalances in the body.
5. Formaldehyde: Formaldehyde is found in hair straighteners and nail treatments and can cause allergic reactions.